Tuesday 13 November 2012

I practice Yoga because it feels damn good.


And it does amazing things for my running.

In fact, yoga adds a completely new dimension to my fitness by challenging my body in a different way every time I stretch out on my mat. It is an excellent form of cross training and the perfect workout for a rest day or a day that you don’t feel like pulling on your takkies. Yoga realigns the body and releases any tension that I have been carrying around deep within my muscles and connective tissues.

Yoga is a full-body strengthening workout that develops core stability, greatly improves flexibility, increases range of motion and aids mental focus. This means that with regular practice, my running style becomes more efficient and I am less prone to stiffness and injury.

Yoga has taught me how to breathe and how to still my mind and by using the techniques learnt on the mat, running has become an extension of my yoga practice and in itself, a form of meditation. Hitting the trail and finding that familiar rhythm is calming and a way to clear my mind from the stresses of mundane life. Regularly practicing yoga has increased my body awareness and this allows me to run more mindfully and stay in tune with my body while tearing up the trail, using my body and mind as a team to push further and endure longer distances.

No comments:

Post a Comment