Tuesday 16 October 2012

Absence makes the heart grow fonder



 
They say that “absence makes the heart grow fonder” and I can certainly say that when it comes to running, these words of wisdom ring true. When running is part of your everyday routine, taking time off to rest or recover from an injury or sickness is hard, frustrating and even painful.

Running on the mountain, through the beautiful fynbos and forests that we are so privileged to have access to in Cape Town, makes me incredibly happy. It may sound ridiculous, but I have been known to sprint down a single track, navigating through trees and around hairpin bends, hopping over boulders with an insane grin on my face. For me, running is more than exercise, it is pure bliss, a chance to get outdoors and appreciate the beauty of nature, a way to clear my head and continuously challenge myself beyond my comfort zone. I love running, so much so that in recent months my boyfriend has taken to calling me ‘Gump’; and without my daily dose of trail, I seemingly morph into an irritable and anxious person with twitching legs and way too much pent up energy.  I am no longer ‘Gump’, but ‘Grump’.
After a fall a couple of weeks ago that resulted in an injured knee, followed by flu and laryngitis, I decided to wave the white flag and give into a good old rest period. Taking my dogs for walks on the trails on which I should’ve been running frustrated me to no end and cycling; swimming and any other form of cross training was out of the question. My only saving grace over this period was regularly practicing yoga, which helped to keep me sane. As hard as it was to stay away from running, I know now that there was nothing as good as rest to help heal my injured body and give it a chance to recover.

On the up side, taking out those abandoned running shoes and stretching out your legs as you take the first few tentative steps on a run after a long break feels amazing and the sensation of running on fresh legs and expending all that pent up energy is incomparable. The feeling that one gets when setting off on a run after a rest period is almost worth taking the time off, it grows your appreciation for your fit, healthy body and shows us how lucky we are to be able to take time out of our busy days to get outside and do something we love, to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment